Friday, March 16, 2007

Google Vs. Viacom

I was reading one of my group member's blog and noticed he had made some remarks about the in class discussion on Google vs. Viacom. I do agree parts of his point of view. Viacom really does not need to sue Google because of the copyrighted material since as Eric stated, Viacom is probably gaining so many more viewers and getting tons of free marketing and advertising. However, during class everyone was split in half and one group was arguing for Google/Youtube, while the other half was arguing for Viacom. I happened to be on the Viacome side of the room, which at first bothered me because I just didn't agree with Viacom, but as we started the discussion I realized Viacome, while perhaps being a little outragous, is right. YouTube did take off copyrighted material when they were asked to, and are claiming it's up to the company who the copyrighted material belongs to inform Google if something is posted, but the law states that is the company is liable if the copyright infringement is so pervasive that the website should have been aware of it. If YouTube is getting so many complaints about copyrighted materials on their website then it becomes a matter common knowledge that copyrighted material is there and YouTube should take measures to constantly check. Google claims they are also developing software to find and remove the copyrighted materials, but refuse to show Viacom or any other company any of the developments which seems a little sketchy to me. If this software was actually being developed and quickly then why would google have a problem proving it to Viacom. Showing Viacom this production could have possibly stopped this major lawsuit.
Also, while YouTube is providing free advertising for Viacom, they are also monetarily benefiting from the copyrighted materials posted. Viacom (reasonably so) doesn't want Google to benefit from their productions. The way I look at it is I invent a product and am making money from it, then someone else comes along and decides to do some advertising for me (without my consent) and also sells a few of my invention without paying royalties. I know I would be upset about that, so I can understand by Viacom doesn't want YouTube benefiting from their items.
So while I can see why people may feel Google is in the right, I can also understand why Viacom would want to sue.

No comments: